Friday, January 14, 2011

The Towel Was Only A Dollar

I was working at my yoga studio today and I had an interesting thought after a particularly infuriating exchange with a student who needs more than yoga to mend their emotional problems - I'm thinking lithium.  

I work very hard not to say what I am really thinking.  My impulse is often to say things that would be considered painful to many, whereas I see it as, yes, a blunt, yet simple, truth.  You can think of it as a female version of Simon Cowell, only American and with more cursing.

For example, if someone is acting like a rancid whore and throwing an puerile tantrum just because they are required to pay a dollar for and extra towel, I simper and smile and tell them I am sorry, but that's policy and that they are more than welcome to bring their own towels and blah blah blah blah blah.

Inside I am howling.

This, for me, brings up the question of karma.  The idea that the energy you give out comes back to you.  That the way you treat people is the way you will be treated.  The golden rule - "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself," - is a watered down explanation of karma.

As I was watching this person ranting about how unfair it was to charge them a whole dollar for a third towel after the first two were free made me consider karma again.  Obviously, this is a person who has a nasty streak.  I can't be the first person who they have let loose on.  Therefore, this is not a person who is concerned with the energy that is coming back at them.

Suddenly, it hit me.  What if I was supposed to be this person's bad karma?  What if I was supposed to be the person to gave this bonehead their awful, terrible karma right back?  Maybe the delightful responsibility of making this person realize just how terrible and empty their life is, was laid before my feet by the great, delicious universe.

And I didn't do it.

Then I thought, am I going to be in trouble for not doing my karmic duty?  (Hehehe, duty.)  I mean, am I going to have bad karma now that I didn't give that bad karma back to the nasty fruit of adultery that had just left the building?  Is that how karma works?  It would be a great assignment, being in charge of the bad karma for another person.  

Think about it, if I am a good, loving person to everyone, including the nasties, how will the nasties get what's coming to them?  They're just going to go around being awful and terrible, while we nice observers of the karmic light go around being stepped on.

I think its time to become Warriors for Karma.  Our job will be to go around to all the offensive, repulsive humanoids on the planet and give them whats coming to them, whether that be a thorough tongue-lashing or a good, old fashion punch in the mouth.

I'll be taking volunteers.  We're gonna stir shit up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment