Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sleep Life to the Fullest

*Editor's note:  I am probably about to contradict a lot of things I wrote in my previous post about death, so true if you believe it's true, not true if you don't believe it's true, check at home.*

I hate the phrase "I'll sleep when I'm dead".  Why on earth would you want to do that?  First off, how do you know that you can sleep when you're dead?  Or that sleep has the same sensation and satisfaction as a good sleep-in till noon while you are still alive?

A friend of mine told me recently that when he has only a couple years left in his life he is going to stay awake as much as possible.  In my opinion, that is a terrible idea!  So you'll spend the last years of your life, which are probably already a questionable experience to begin with, sleep deprived and cranky, just because you want to "live life to the fullest"?  

Why not spend those last few years enjoying the feel of pillows and blankets and sheets and all that good stuff?  I mean, they call them restless spirits for a reason, people!  

What if in the afterlife, there is no sleep?  What if you spend eternity as a half-awake, half-asleep, exhausted, cantankerous wraith?  And its all because you didn't enjoy sleep when you could have, because you shunned sleep as a living being.   

See, this is why I don't believe that God wants us to deny ourselves.  Some religions forbid certain foods, men touching women and so on.  I think God (whoever and whatever that is) wanted us to eat good food when we want to eat it, fuck who makes us happy and enjoy the presence and company of our fellow man, because in the end, all we have is each other.  We have what we gave to the rest of the world, not what we denied ourselves.

Although I do know what my own personal hell would be, if the afterlife does come down to that.  I would be exhausted and trapped in Times Square on New Year's Eve.  Oh, and I have to pee.  And I am surround by tourists and someone has stolen my wallet and it's cold and awful and there is no escape!  For the rest of eternity.


Damn, this got all philosophical again.  Next time, irreverence all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment